Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bump Watch: Week 16

I've read dozens of times that with each successive pregnancy you "show" sooner and get larger. But I'm still shocked at how much more bump I have this time around. When I was 12 weeks pregnant with Finn I shot a photo set with Alissa Brunelli. I looked amazing. My stomach was teensy from 3 months of constant vomiting. My boobs looked cartoonishly disproportionate. My butt was darn near perfect from all the running I had been doing prior to discovering I was pregnant. I may have felt like death slightly warmed up, but damn if I didn't look awesome. This time though at 12 weeks, I was poking my belly, turning this way and that trying to discern whether it was a bump I was seeing or just a "food baby" from the extra large banana split I had just consumed in 2 bites. This week I ripped our house apart in a frantic search for a  bellaband that has apparently disappeared into thin air. The only thing keeping me out of ugly maternity pants at this point is the fact that my favorite jeans are cut much lower in the front than the back. Thank you, Levi 504's. And see that striped shirt. I have two of them. And I live in them. Chances are if you see me out and about, I'll be wearing one of them. I have other shirts that fit (that aren't empire waisted circus tent maternity tops), but I've developed some sort of dependence on these two Old Navy shirts. I really should have purchased more of them.
Right now I'm just looking forward to the big ultrasound appointment in a few weeks. I'm dying to know what exactly is in there. With Finn I had kind of a feeling that I was carrying a boy. But with this one, I have no clue. It could be a kraken or a walrus for all I know (I'm kind of hoping for a kraken). We went through a little debacle over the unisex name we've had picked out for two years, which lead to coming up with an entirely new boy's name. A boy's name we've been keeping from my mother, which is apparently killing her. I've promised to tell her once we find out if it's a boy or a girl, so I'm exciting for the appointment just to put an end to her constant digging for hints.

4 comments:

Joe Pontillo said...

I hope it's a kraken just so Steve can bellow the appropriate words at the moment of delivery...

Annie (Lady M) x said...

A walrus has surely got to be easier to look after than a baby?

But, prey do tell.. is the walrus a boy or a girl?!

MamaShark said...

A walrus might initially be easier to care for than a baby, but once they hit 100 pounds or so, I think the roles would reverse.I'm sure my kids will be bigger than me one day, but a walrus would surpass me within a year. That's a damn big toddler. Plus, walruses smell much worse than babies (well, usually.) You can definitely expect a post all about the gender of the upcoming spawn in two and a half weeks once I get the ultrasound. Assuming of course that this one is cooperative and spread-eagle in there like Finn was.

Bethany Susan said...

congrats on your new little one on the way. kraken or baby, either way.